« mmm, bacteria | Main Page | CBS news' Dan Rather just »
introverts
Posted by dav at 2003 February 24 12:40 AM
File under: News

An article on The Caring for Your Introvert published in The Atlantic. Interesting. I'm an INTP with a solid 90% score on the I ...and I definitely agree with this quote: "the only thing a true introvert dislikes more than talking about himself is repeating himself."

"But you have a blog," you say, "you're yapping about yourself all the time."

Yeah, but not -to- anyone in particular. And I can't stand repeating myself; drives me nuts. I previously attributed that to a compulsion for efficiency, but maybe it has something to do with not wanting to talk so much in the first place.

Comments:

So I took the brief test out of curiosity and apparently I'm an Idealist (NF). I didn't mind the description: enthusiastic, yearn for romance, tend to be giving, trusting, spiritual, and make intense mates. On the other hand, the author of the article tells me if I have an introvert on my hands, which you say you solidly are, then chances are I'm not caring for you properly, that I'm "as inscrutable as puppy dogs...They listen for a moment and then go back to barking and yipping." Not encouraging cuz I think compared to you I'm an extrovert (or is that an understatement?). "The worst of it is that extroverts have no idea of the torment they put us through." Really? Do I get some credit for offering you earplugs when I need to let off steam in your presence?

This shall be interesting to see how we negotiate our types. Let's make it fun!

Posted by: Mie on February 25, 2003 07:57 PM

Oh it'll be fun. We haven't had enough time to figure out if you're caring for me properly (unfortunately) ;), but I think we're doing fine so far. The strangest thing though, I've taken the Meyers-Briggs test a number of times in my life and I've always been solidy an INTX (I was always around 50% on the P/J hence the X). But I just took this short test and I got an "Artisan (SP)" which can be one of the following according to the test results: Composers(ISFP) | Crafters (ISTP) |Performers (ESFP) | Promoters (ESTP). I'm sure that I'm still a solid Introvert and a Thinker, but apparently I've switched from iNtuition to Sensing, which is a bit of a shock.

"Crafters ISTP" sounds about right of those choices. Interesting, it never occured to me that I'd change my M-B score but I haven't taken the test since right after college and I suppose I have changed since then. Of course, this short test isn't very conclusive compared to the much longer ones I took in college (I was a psychology major in college until I switched majors to computer science).

And I'm down with the Artisan characteristics:

* Artisans tend to be fun-loving, optimistic, realistic, and focused on the here and now.
* Artisans pride themselves on being unconventional, bold, and spontaneous.
* Artisans make playful mates, creative parents, and troubleshooting leaders.
* Artisans are excitable, trust their impulses, want to make a splash, seek stimulation, prize freedom, and dream of mastering action skills.

Although, now it's starting to seem like horoscopes (applicable to just about anybody if viewed from the proper angle).

Posted by: Dav on February 25, 2003 10:17 PM

Whew, Dav, you changed less than me. In high school, first time I took the test, I was an INTJ (40/60/80/20). Took it in college, INTJ (40/60/50/20). Took it at IBM, ENTP (low on everything, can't remember ranges). Took it just recently, ENFP (40/20/10/20).

I've totally been miffed as to how it's scored over time. An 'I'?!?! I find it hard for me now to look back and see myself as an 'I'. I dressed up drag for a school-sponsored Halloween event for goodness sakes (well, it was New Orleans). But, still....

jt

Posted by: Jesse on March 3, 2003 02:49 PM

oh, and I never dug the overviews. They're almost always positive in some eerie way. Like you're being put into a certain group at summer camp. Fun for the camp, not fun for a "life description". The books that discuss the personalities usually talk about the negatives of the types as well. People, especially Americans, are much better at classifying their negative points than their positive ones. (I think)

jt

Posted by: Jesse on March 3, 2003 02:53 PM

d'oh. Last comment, I swear...

Forgot to attach this link:

jt

Posted by: Jesse on March 3, 2003 02:54 PM

I have a great site for introverts with lots of resources and information. Check it out and enjoy being an introvert. It's a legitimate personality type! P.S. I also have a great eBook on Dating Tips for Introverts full of introvert-specific information that has been successful for others.

Posted by: Nancy R. Fenn on September 29, 2003 12:05 AM