« webgeek0lympics | Main Page | a pile of books »
i shaved
Posted by dav at 2003 April 19 12:26 PM
File under: Hiptop

In preparation for Mie's arrival from Tokyo next week, I mowed the lawn so we can have a nice comfortable picnic.

p.s. I know a bunch of animated gifs on one page is annoying, I promise to stop doing it so much now...
Dav via Danger Hiptop

Comments:

"I mowed the lawn so we can have a nice comfortable picnic"? Very, very classy, Dav.

But you do look so much better without the beard. I hope you keep it off. You looked like a criminal before-- I didn't realize how much until I saw the contrast. Plus, you look about five or ten years younger now.

Posted by: Danzig on April 19, 2003 12:46 PM

That's right, a picnic.... on my face! Bwa ha ha ha!

Yeah I know I look better without it, it's just while Mie wasn't around I didn't care so much what I looked like. Have you ever seen my passport photo? That probably got me gate-checked a few times, I look certainly like a criminal there :)

Posted by: Dav on April 19, 2003 12:52 PM

Yes, we all already got it, that the picnic is on your face, and that Mie is bringing the picnic basket, and your picnic will be of day-old sushi, etc., etc.

Posted by: Danzig on April 19, 2003 01:10 PM

Oh, yeah, and the blanket you'll sit on for the picnic will be an actual blanket, if you know what I'm sayin'.

Posted by: Danzig on April 19, 2003 01:12 PM

Now you're just getting dirty.

Posted by: Dav on April 19, 2003 01:14 PM

Best use of an animated gif I've seen yet.

Posted by: Chuck Swenson on April 20, 2003 08:09 AM

Best use of an animated gif I've seen yet.

Posted by: Chuck Swenson on April 20, 2003 08:09 AM

OK OK, fellas. Enough mumbo jumbo about picnics on faces!! Personally, I like Dav either way...although I haven't seen you with a beard yet except in pictures. I'm just imagining how much fun it'd be to pull it...but now that you mention beards, I do remember having a hard time kissing my dad good night when he had a beard. I made those kisses short and sweet and rubbed my face afterwards cuz it itched. About that passport picture... I'm very surprised you got through Narita last time! They're a sucker for people who 'look' suspicious.

Posted by: mie on April 20, 2003 06:18 PM

"Best use of an animated gif I've seen yet?" -- oy, I can't let that one slide.

Photo movies = one of the -worst- possible uses of an animated gif.

Not because of the content. I love the shaving time-lapse idea. But these three tiny animated gifs on your page right now take up nearly half a Meg. Those photos alone take more than 2 minutes to download over a modem or over most cellular devices.

Even the most primitive video format, even Flash, would provide the same content with better quality at less than 1/10 the size. Even a JPEG animation would be much faster and sharper. GIF was invented specifically to handle images that are -not- photos...

Your site seems so nicely minimized for use by people with all sorts of devices otherwise (except maybe the globe applet? not sure how big that is...) It's a shame, just for the sake of those little movies, to turn back everyone who approaches your site using anything less than a PC or Mac with high-bandwidth connection.

jpegs = good for photos and things with fuzzy edges and gradations, gifs = good for text, most illustrations and screen shots, things with sharply defined color changes. And each is horrible at the other's specialty.

Sean