« association of the living dead | Main Page | bathroom artistry »
rarotonga sheraton
Posted by dav at 2003 July 15 04:17 AM
File under: Travel

While looking dreamily through the Fam Frauenfelder's Rarotonga island life web journal I read that there is an 80% completed Sheraton resort there which was abandoned in the early 90s and is now slowly returning to nature. I find modern ruins inveterately compelling, perhaps because of the John Crhistopher books I devoured in my pree-teen years which seemed always to portray a post-apocalyptic landscape consisting of decaying Industrial Age ruins.

I quickly emailed Mr Fraunfelder requesting he take a photo of the hotel for his online gallery, and then thought to do a google search in the meantime, coming up with one photo amongst a good quality travel album.

I wish I had a midi file of Talking Head's Nothing But Flowers to embed with this post as a soundtrack :)

Comments:

Huh, I guess this was a meme who's time had come, twelve hours after I posted this a post on the Rarotonga Sheraton showed up coincidentally on BoingBoing...

Posted by: Dav on July 15, 2003 11:19 PM

I just went to their website. Carla Sinclair sounds so familiar- I think she had some sort of girlie website *back in the day* that I liked. Do you remember? It had a paper doll you could dress up and other neat stuff.

Posted by: Ele on July 16, 2003 09:25 AM

This looks like heaven on earth.

Posted by: toph on July 16, 2003 12:41 PM

Ele,

Yeah, I remember showing you that site, circa 1994, as evidence that this "Internet" thing wasn't just a geek playground.

Posted by: Dav on July 17, 2003 10:35 AM

Hart Island is a thin spit of land just off the Bronx shore, at the western edge of Long Island Sound. It is off limits to the public and has been used as a Potters field for all of New York City. At various times it has also been a pow camp, a sanitarium, and a missile base. Check out the photographs taken of the island. Joel Sternfeld and Melinda Hunt's "Hart Island: Discovery of an Unknown Territory."

Posted by: Chuck Swenson on July 23, 2003 12:50 PM