« democracy needs a tune-up | Main Page | I Am Everybody »
life v2.0
Posted by dav at 2004 December 1 11:23 AM
File under: Thoughts

Yesterday was my last day as an employee of the company I co-founded nearly five years ago. It was quite a ride, as is typical of startups. We grew it from the three co-founders to a profitable company with twenty-some employees through two rounds of funding, good times and hard times. We practically created a new market with our innovative software and the previously established chemical informatics companies are scrambling to catch up.

Some people would think I'm leaving early, as we have neither gone public nor been acquired, but five years is a long time and I've come to understand that the sweet spot in my abilities lies more in the early stages of a startup than the latter stages. Our venture wouldn't have lasted two years without some of the decisions and efforts I made in the early days, knowing that gives me pride and confidence to move on to a new venture. I am also confident that I leave the company in capable hands.

I did get a nice plaque:

So what next? That's the exciting part.

The only things that are certain in my future are two upcoming plane trips and Mie. I go to Viet Nam, Thailand and hopefully Cambodia Dec 12 - Jan 11 for a vacation. On January 31 I fly to Rio de Janeiro (just in time for Carnaval) and then I plan to stay in Brazil for up to six months where I will attempt to split my time evenly between surfing warm Brasilian waves and exploring new possible software ventures. I have a few ideas already, but hopefully having the time to follow wherever curiosity and creativity take me will lead to even more.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life.

Comments:

I'm very proud of you, baby. I'm excited for both of us. It's a new chapter for me too!

Posted by: Mie on December 1, 2004 12:18 PM

I walked away from the company I had co-founded after almost 7 years, and it was one of the hardest things I'd ever done. But now, it's been almost that long since I left, and I can see it was one of the best decisions I ever made and led to me being happier, more satisfied, and more successful. I'm sure you'll find the same!

Posted by: Anil Dash on December 1, 2004 01:26 PM

Dav,
You're zest for living and willingness to take chances and broad leaps of faith has always been inspirational to me. Here's to this new chapter in both yours and Mie's life. May you find all that you seek, and savor every moment of the journey.

Salut!

Posted by: Thomas on December 1, 2004 01:32 PM

Best of luck to you and to Mie! GANBATTE!! ^_^
Aoi77

Posted by: aoi on December 1, 2004 02:05 PM

Dav, congratulations on your decision and good luck! I left that "once peerless Japanese consumer electronics company" back in September, took off 2 months for sanity and a trip to motorcycle New Zealand (you gotta do this too- it's motorcycling nirvana!) and visit friends in Australia.

I'm back in Tokyo in a new job and am excited for the possibilities. As we say in Tokyo, otsukaresamadeshita and have a great time living life on your own terms!

Posted by: Gen on December 1, 2004 05:19 PM

Good luck Dav,
I can't wait to see what's brewing. Enjoy!

Posted by: pbaron on December 1, 2004 06:23 PM

Finally this day you've been dreaming of arrived.

Congratulations my friend and enjoy the freedom! If I could buy stock in people you'd become a key part of my portfolio. (...and if I had any money, that is.)

Posted by: cheesebikini on December 2, 2004 12:46 AM

Congratulations! I am very excited for you! Can't wait to see what you come up with....

Posted by: Ele on December 3, 2004 10:20 AM